Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reading & vocabulary

I am reading Mao's Last Dancer , already into the last few chapters . I read the book whenever I have the time and the mood . mostly in the afternoon and before sleep .

I love to read but this is not the genre that I will pick for myself . What are my personal preferences ? Espionage , courtroom drama  , fiction  but  must be related to current affairs - like WMD , nuclear proliferation  , cyber war ......

I  am amused  at  how I ended up buying this book .A month ago ,  I was shopping at a local book store with a friend  , Ms R .  I assured her that I can pay for her first since Ms R did not bring much cash  that day .
At one point , Ms R showed me this book Mao's Last Dancer and told me that it is a good book to read . The book cost about RM 50 . So  I thought  she  wanted to make the  purchase  , I  took the book  from her hand  and planned to pay for her first . At the payment counter , I was surprised that Ms R  also lined up to make payment for a few  other English reference  books that she has picked . After paying , she commented that i would definitely enjoy Mao's Last Dancer . Then only did  I realise that she did not have any intention to purchase that book , she was just recommending one to  me . Thanks  Ms R , i enjoy reading the book , it really opens my eyes to what life was like under Mao's rule .

Today , I read with interest of the development of  Stuxnet  from Newsweek magazine  and how the most sophisticated computer worm ever detected and analysed  is targeting Iranian Nuclear program .Interestingly ,  it is a weapon created  by a state ( ?? ) to achieve a goal that might otherwise  have used multiple cruise missiles to achieve .Microsoft has estimated that building this virus likely took 10 000 man days of labour by only top- rank software engineers . this worm is not designed to spread far and wide , or doing damage wherever it landed . It is structured to target specific set of devices manufactured by Finland and  Iran . These devices are used to determine the speed that the centrifuges rotate ( Uranium enrichment ) . And since Iranian nuclear program's computers are not connected to Internet , the worm cant be introduced  online . It's presumed to have come from a  USB flash drive that  was infected .
Isn't this interesting enough to read ? I will try to get hold of the latest book by Clarke : Cyber War - the next threat to national security and what to do about it . 

Vocabulary 
18 new words were jotted down today .

No comments:

Post a Comment